Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Got the 8184 (3184) Subs

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Well,

    AEP30 delivered these today. Very nice guy.
    The speakers are in very good shape. A little clean up and they will look like new. The woofs themselves are near perfect. Altec even did a good job of bracing the cabs, which are 3/4" plywood.

    I'm not used to seeing 18" drivers! Man, they be big!

    I'd like to add more stuffing, and then measure the tuning. The ports are just round 8 3/4" holes in the cab. Wonder if I can find 8 3/4" tubing to play with?

    Dimensions are 30W x 27 deep by 36 tall. Not tiny......

    I'll need help getting them in the basement.

    Pretty good deal for $375 delivered.

    I'll keep you posted when I get them installed.

    Ron

  2. #2
    Hostboard Member Davidg's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 20th, 2007
    Posts
    76
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Ron,
    I've been quietly watching and reading your posts about the 8184/3184 subs. I to was watching that auction and was very tempted to bid, I'm glad someone got them that is a member here, as I am very interested in their performance and your opinion of them when you get them up and going.
    I've been thinking of purchasing a pair of the GPA 3184 subs and building that same enclosure for them, so any thoughts about how they sound, how low they go etc. etc. would be great!

    Thanks David

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Got the 8184 (3184) Subs


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Very good deal on those.

    If I ever make it out that way I'd love to see 'em. And hear them.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Ron,

    Nice Score!

    For music (excl. pipe organ/ultra-low synth), the stock tuning should knock your socks off. Just be aware that excursion will quickly go non-linear in the first octave with signifigant boost/power. For true sub duty, you might be better off sealing the boxes up. I can't model excursion, so can't predict the particulars though. Maybe GM will notice and pitch in.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    way cool ron..glad to see you went from not too excited to very happy! wanted those myself, just the wrong time of year, working in construction and the economy being what it is. cant wait to hear your impressions. as allways im very happy to see someone from here get a great deal from ebay

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks guys. I'll have a pic or 2 up tomorrow. they won't be too exciting.
    My cat seems to like them, easy access for sleeping!
    I'm wondering, these are birch plyood. The unfinished insides look nice. Wonder how hard it would be to strip sand and stain these?

    Ron

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oooohhh...staining plywood...I can tell ya how not to do it... (bangs head)!

    Don't oversand. It's veneer over some nasty glue. Sand too close to the glue...ruh-roh.

    Don't overstain. Multiple light coats instead. If the stain penetrates and softens the glue...ruh-roh.

    KIS. The more you jack with it, the worse it gets.

    Been there. Still there waiting on me to fix it too...

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    David,

    According to the poop sheet on the subs in boxes, F3 is 40hz. So they won't go real low without a bit of EQ. Which these should handle with ease.

    Cleaned the boxes all up, and removed the drivers. Drivers are quite impressive and in near mint condition.

    Ron

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I'll leave em gray then.....
    Already trashed the basement with the 9846 refinishing bondo work....and of course the dust goeas all over the house to boot.

    Ron

  10. #10
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What about a faux marble skin?

    Sure make for some big ol' rocks... forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.